Dowse is a project that is supported as well from a community. From traveling, presenting, getting inputs of hacktivists, makers, IoT communities. We make it for our people; Old Ounts and young daughters as well …
Dowse is a free and open source project developed mainly in C and shell script.
The development of dowse started in 2013 from a white paper.
What is Dowse?
DOWSE The Dowse box gives you back control. Dowse is free and open source software. There is no big company behind it. By installing the Dowse box you will get insight down to the network layer of what is actually going on in your home. Who is talking to whom, what, where and when? You can see which device connects to which company and you can turn that communication off, or allow it.
We call it an Awareness Box. You will be aware of the invisible world surrounding you and your famlly. To us, this is the first step. Dowse is building a community of developers who will create modules allowing you to safely and securely share your data with whomever you want. After all there are a lot of pros about getting insight into your own behavior, your family’s and your home as a companion. Yet the control should stay with you. You will share if you know what you are really sharing.
In short is a device that is designed to do well some things:
- Opacize your network; External services will not be able to capture your metadata and/or your data through Domain Name System Translation.
- Makes you aware of your traffic and all activities of your users without spying on them. It is a bit like sharing the same room.
- Allows you to swich off devices and machine network connection in case they wish to “call home” because they have been infected by malware, or they have been ill conceived to serve some commercial spyware purpose.
- and we added to the mix: Open Sound Control, MQTT, NETDATA, Websockets and all the good stuff to play with it.
- Hardware Hacking with ESP8266 and Arduino
- Programmable with NODERED